This is the third blog in the series on The Lord’s Prayer. The first blog -- Rediscovering the Power of The Lord’s Prayer – is about understanding what prayer was in Yeshua’s (the Jewish Jesus) culture. The second blog – Our Father in Heaven – is about the first line of The Lord’s Prayer. This blog is about the second line:
“May your name sanctified.”
Comments and Cultural Insights
1. To sanctify “our Father’s name” means to honor, praise and glorify Him through our words and actions.
2. T“our Father’s name”
3. To sanctify “our Father’s name” is also to imitate Him.
4. Jesus taught the same idea in another teaching – “Let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father in Heaven.” (Matthew 5:16)
5. “Our Father” is known for His “good works.” Seven times in the First Creation Account, the Creator measured His “works” by a standard -– “And God saw that it was TOV.” The Hebrew word TOV is translated “TOV” and “good” in this context describes “acts that are beautiful and pleasant to the Creator’s eyes because they protect and preserve lives, make lives more functional and increase the quality of life.”
6. Jesus also uses the phrase “acts of righteousness” to describe “good works” -- feeding hungry people, giving drink to thirsty people, giving clothes to the naked, providing shelter for the homeless, visiting the sick, going to those in prison, freeing the oppressed, etc.
Making the words of The Lord’s Prayer a Reality in Our Lives
1. Jesus’s primary teaching was on that the Kingdom of Heaven had arrived, it was now spreading across the land and the proof of its arrival was that people were doing acts of righteousness. More and more people were “sanctifying the name of God.”
2. Praying The Lord’s Prayer reminds of the power we have to help one another and acknowledge that something greater than us exist and affects actions on earth.
3. “Sanctifying the name of God” is not a ritual and has nothing to do with theology -- it is a way of life that values lives through human actions that are righteous and TOV.
If you found this information informative, useful and valuable, here are some things you can do to help share it and help us provide more.
Make others aware of this information by
& getting together with a friend or two and discussing this lesson.
Donate it forward!
If you have never donated,
our “Helping Friends” made this blog available for you!
Become a “Helping Friend” by donating now -- Click Here for options.
Donate it forward so blogs, publications & other services
will be here in the future!
Let Your Amazon Purchases Help Fund this work too!
Click on the link below when you login to Amazon --
Amazon will donate a percentage of what you pay to BHC.