Skip to main content

Rabbi says the prophet Isaiah would not be pleased with Supreme Court Decision

Dear Supreme Court justices: When I heard about the McCutcheon v. Federal Election Commission ruling, it made me plotz. I’m a rabbi, so I know much more about the Talmud than about torts. But if there’s any group that can compete with scholars of constitutional law, it’s rabbis. Your recent decision was all about the First Amendment and free speech. As I understand it, legal scholars have interpreted that word “speech” to include “political expression.” So far, I’m with you. I think the freedom of being able to talk politics without fear of reprisal, whether you are a mighty politician or a lowly voter, is A-OK. But when you said that political expression is the same as a campaign contribution, you lost me. The First Amendment protects the right of every citizen to speak freely. It does not protect the right to give money to politics. Money is not the same as speech. If you want to equate money with something, consider equating it with influence, not speech.

Read Rabbi Justus Baird’s (Dean of Auburn Theological Seminary) commentary at -- http://www.religionnews.com/2014/04/08/commentary-free-speech-just-got-expensive/



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why did they lay their coats at Saul's feet?

The witnesses, laying their coats at the feet of Saul, were the men that would cast the first stones at Stephen in Acts 7. Why did they all lay their coats at Saul’s feet? The Talmud contains a very interesting account of the act of stoning that may provide the answer. “When the trial was over, they take him [the condemned person] out to be stoned. The place of stoning was at a distance from the court, as it is said, ‘Take out the one who has cursed.’ [i] A man stands at the entrance of the court; in his hand is a signaling flag [Hebrew   sudarin = sudar , ‘scarf, sweater’]. A horseman was stationed far away but within sight of him. If one [of the judges] says, ‘I have something [more] to say in his favor,’ he [the signaler] waves the   sudarin , and the horseman runs and stops them [from stoning him]. Even if [the condemned person] himself says, ‘I have something to say in my favor,’ they bring him back, even four of five times, only provided that there is some substance to...

Lots of Elohims, Idols, and King Solomon! This Why We Use Models & Guidelines!

  If we had been there at the time of Ezekiel, as we walked around Jerusalem, we would have seen people giving food to idols and worshipping them on the mountain tops around Jerusalem. There were idols in the Temple also. Who put the idols in Jerusalem? Continue reading at - https://mailchi.mp/f44166b57dd2/lots-of-elohims-idols-and-king-solomon-this-why-we-use-models-guidelines

Remember the Power of TZEDAQAH and Returning!

  TZEDAQAH is the outstanding, overriding, and yet simple, theme of Jesus. This means one thing to people who view Jesus through a “Religion Box.” It means something very different to people who view Jesus through the “Alliance and Covenant of the Creator of the Skies and the Earth” box! Continue reading at - https://mailchi.mp/b63c22467a93/remember-the-power-of-tzedaqah-and-returning